The Nigeria Labour Unions (NLC & TUC) have agreed to call off their planned strikes scheduled for Wednesday, June 7th, 2023.
The union agreed to call off the strike after a closed-door meeting with government officials in Aso Rock late on Monday evening (5th of June 2023).
According to Television news station TVC, in attendance were CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele, former Governor of Edo State Adams Oshiomole, former Labour Minister of State Festus Keyamo, and Chief of Staff to the President Femi Gbajabiamila.
The outcome of the meeting was announced by the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the incoming Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, to the State House correspondents and confirmed by the NLC President, Joe Ajaero, after an almost 6-hour meeting between representatives of the Federal Government and organized labour at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Gbajabiamila, while reading the communiqué which was signed by the representatives of the Federal Government and the leadership of the labour unions, stated that an agreement was struck between the NLC, TUC and the team set up by President Bola Tinubu to discuss the issues arising from the subsidy removal.
Highlights of the agreement
The Speaker said the Federal Government, the TUC and the NLC would establish a joint committee to review the proposal for any wage increase or award and establish a framework and timeline for implementation. The communiqué reads:
- “The Federal Government, the TUC and the NLC would review World Bank Financed Cash transfer scheme and propose inclusion of low-income earners in the programme.
- “The Federal Government, the TUC and the NLC to revive the CNG conversion programme earlier agreed with Labour centres in 2021 and work out detailed implementation and timing.
- “The Labour centres and the Federal Government to review issues hindering effective delivery in the education sector and propose solutions for implementation.
- “The Labour centres and the Federal Government to review and establish the framework for completion of the rehabilitation of the nation’s refineries.
- “The Federal Government to provide a framework for the maintenance of roads and expansion of rail networks across the country. All other demands submitted by the TUC to the Federal Government will be assessed by the joint committee.
- “Consequently, the parties agreed follows: The NLC to suspend the notice of strike forthwith to enable further consultations. The TUC and the NLC to continue the ongoing engagements with the Federal Government and secure closure on the resolutions above. The Labour Centres and the Federal Government to meet on June 19, 2023, to agree on an implementation framework.”
What you should know
Nairametrics had earlier reported that representatives of the Federal Government and the leadership of the NLC were meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, for a continuation of the discussions on the removal of petroleum subsidy.
President of the NLC, Joe Ajaero, and members of his national executives arrived at the Presidential Villa around 5 pm on Monday for the meeting.
The government team at the meeting includes the newly appointed Chief of Staff to the President and the outgoing Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, a former Edo Governor and Senator-elect, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole as well as the Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) of Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), Mele Kyari.
Meanwhile, the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, Abuja division, had on Monday restrained the NLC and the TUC from embarking on strike over the removal of petrol subsidy.
The Federal Government had asked the court for an interim injunction restraining the labour unions from proceeding on the strike scheduled to begin on Wednesday, June 7, 2023.
Delivering the ruling on Monday, OY Anuwe, the presiding judge, said the unions should halt the planned strike pending the hearing and determination of the ex parte motion filed by the federal government.